Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pumpkin Bread, So YUMMY......................


This is one of my all time favorite recipes, it's moist & dense and chock full of goodness in every bite!
This recipe makes 2 loaves but I make in a bundt pan using all of the "batter"
• 2 cups of fresh cooked pumpkin OR one 16 ounce can of canned pumpkin
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (not self-rising flour)
• 2 tsp. baking soda
• 3 cups sugar or 3 cups of Splenda OR a 50:50 mix of the two.
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 2 tsp. nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1 cup chopped pecans & 1 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/2 cup raisins & 1 cup of Craisins & 1/2 cup chopped dates
• Water: 1/2 cup water if you are using fresh cooked pumpkin , or 2/3 cup water if you are using commercial canned pumpkin
• Makes 2 loaves or 1 bundt cake/loaf.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and sugar (or Splenda).
Add the eggs, water, oil and pumpkin.
Stir until blended.
If desired, add the raisins and/or nuts. Mix well, either by hand or with a mixer.
Pour into two lightly greased and floured 9x5" loaf pans or pour into a bundt pan (this is what I use)!
Bake approximately 1 hour at 350 F (175 C). The test for doneness is the knife test: when a clean knife can be stuck in and removed cleanly.
Remove from the oven and cool slightly (10 minutes).
Then take out of pans to let cool on a rack.

Dust with confectioners sugar, serve warm with some butter or margarine & a hot cup of coffee.......nothing better!

I'm making one this weekend, half to snack on half to my girl friend & her mama ~ they love home baked treats!

2 comments:

  1. I will be making that...I love anything that has pumpkin in it!! Have a great day and I love home baked treats...you gonna bring me one? LYLAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and I can almost smell it thru the computer:) Sharing warms the heart. I know your friend and her Mama will love it.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete